Fatiando a Terra (Portuguese for Slicing the Earth)
is an open-source Python toolkit
for geophysical modeling and inversion.
- A way to integrate geophysical modeling: functions operate on a common
data and model format so that different methods can be interchanged and linked
- Easily prototyping inversion methods using the fatiando.inversion package
of inverse problem solvers
- A range of toy problems to help teach modeling and inverse problem
- Easy plotting with matplotlib and
3D plotting with Mayavi
- Fast routines, courtesy of Numpy
- A free (as in beer) and open-source alternative
to commercial software
Check out a list of
related projects like:
lecture notes and exercises (free under Creative Commons licenses),
and courses taught using our material.
Check out some videos of sample applications!
These videos were generated by
has more examples of what Fatiando can already do.
Fatiando a Terra is under development on
The master branch
has the current stable version that is on
If you want the bleeding edge,
have a look at the
Documentation for Fatiando is hosted on
Getting help and contributing
If you need any help or want to contribute,
get in touch!
We welcome any feed back and interest.